Disposable vs Rechargeable
Electronic smoking devices such as electronic cigarettes (e-cigs for short) and personal vaporisers are devices which modernise traditional means of smoking such as cigarettes and cigars. These electronic devices come in a variety of styles, brands, and features to appeal to different personal smoking needs. They fall into two basic categories: Disposable and Rechargeable, both of which are readily available across Canada in a vast range of designs and price brackets.
- Disposable devices:
- E-Cigs: The original versions of electronic cigarettes were modeled after traditional cigarettes and were referred to as smokeless cigarettes. These e-cigs feature a similar shape to traditional cigarettes but are often larger in scope. They contain different segments: a segment which the user inhales from and the end which is designed to light up like a traditional cigarette. The disposable cigarette is designed to be used until the nicotine cartridge runs out, and then it can be thrown away. Common disposable e-cigs are designed to last approximately 500 puffs each.
- E-Hookah: The disposable e-hookah features a similar design to the e-cig, but is designed with more flavour cartridge options. These flavour cartridges are attached to the e-hookah device and enjoyed until each cartridge finishes (on average 500 puffs) and then disposed of. Although this alternative is not as commonly used in Canada as the other vaping methods at present, they do provide a truly great flavour and experience which is ideal for social occasions due to their quality combined with the novelty factor they provide.
- The appeal of disposable e-smoking devices: One of the biggest appeals in the Canadian vape market is that these devices are readily available in the same locations as traditional smoking devices, relatively inexpensive (general costing in the market of $10- $15), and easier to use than more advanced electronic smoking devices which require more assembly, calculation, and liquids. Although they offer less customisation than other opptions, they’re strongly favoured for their convenience and lightweight portability.
- Rechargeable devices:
- E-cigarettes: The non-disposable type of electronic cigarette is more advanced than the disposable type and allows users to customise the levels of nicotine that they consume through liquids that are added to the device, which is then heated and consumed by the user.
- Vaporizers: These non-disposable devices are similar in concept but differ slightly in design. These devices have a wide assortment of flavour options and special liquid blends which are designed to maximise the flavour and amount of vapour released from the device. These devices release an aerosolised mist referred to as vapour or vape.
Rechargeable Vape Device Choices in Canada
This is by far the most common type of vaping in Canada today, with a huge range of products falling into this category. They’re all ideal for longer term vapers and not just because of the environmental benefit that they hold over disposable e-cigs.
Personal smoking needs, style, and or budget will likely dictate which device you choose as there are many brands and types to choose from. The choices vary in size: the smaller sizes are about the size of a traditional cigarette, and the larger sizes are about the size of a small flashlight. There are many choices in colour and design as well which adds another level of customisation to the smoking experience. The style and size both depend on the function of the device. These are the four main categories of vaporisers to choose from:
- The smaller sizes are functional as portable devices, which are more compact and more easily travel along with you.
- More advanced devices, are slightly larger in size, carry longer battery lives and are designed to offer more vapour and bolder flavours; these devices tend to pair with the more intense e-Juices or e-liquids.
- Custom built devices allow for more technical customisation and personalisation and are often the largest devices, ideal for personal use in the home.
- There are also devices designed for herbal use that is smokeless and paired with dried herbs or tobacco.
Pros of Disposable devices: The benefits of the disposable devices are less mess, no fussy liquids to mess with and an easier set up when it comes time to smoke. There’s no need to check any dials or electronic gauges. Simply ensure the cartridges are attached and enjoy.
Cons of Disposable devices: The potential drawback for the disposable devices is that they do not last as long as the rechargeable option. Disposable devices will need to be repurchased, repeatedly, once the cartridges run out.
Pros of the Rechargeable Devices: One of the major pros is it lasts longer. This allows users to grow more attached to their device and customise it to best suit their needs and style. In the long run, the device could save money over the other smoking methods.
Cons of the Rechargeable Devices: The initial price is more expensive than the disposable or pack-buy-back purchases but e-smoking enthusiasts attest the potential savings are in the thousands for the passionate smoker who makes the switch from traditional to electronic. The final potential drawback is their size is larger than other methods.
Vaporiser Battery Life
One of the important features to consider in searching for the best Vaporiser in 2021 is the battery life. Having the best vaporiser and a dead battery will not do you much good when you need to vape. Here are some battery basics to help you in your selection. On average, the battery life for a vaporiser will depend on the quality from the manufacturer. Some batteries, such as an 1100mAh battery will last a bit longer than others, such as a 650mAh Battery. The difference in battery life is about 1000 puffs per charge versus about 400 puffs per charge. If you want to go longer between charges, be sure to look for a vaporiser with a higher quality battery. The bigger the battery, the bigger the amount of time that you can go between charges.
Tips For Improving The Battery Life
Tip one: Store the device in moderate temperatures as temperature extremes will impact the battery life, especially if the device is stored in these conditions for extended periods of time. For example, avoid storing the device in the trunk of a car on extremely hot days, as this will shorten the battery life.
Tip Two: This may seem like a no-brainer, but in order to prolong battery life, turn the device to the “off” position when it is not in use. Doing this between short periods when the device is not in use, even if you plan to use it soon, say within the next 10-15 minutes. Turning the device off will help conserve the battery.
Tip Three: Avoid over-charging the device. Selecting a device with a battery indicator can help to prevent shortened battery life due to over-charging the device. If your device doesn’t have this feature, be sure not to leave the device on charge for extended periods of time and simply follow the other tips to maximise battery life. If it does, however, follow the charge advice and avoid charging the device if the battery is over 50%.
Most vapes come with a charging home-station, however, if yours does not you may be able to purchase the charge station from the same place that you purchased your vaporiser from for an additional cost. Most charge stations plug into the wall or USB port. The charge stations may attach directly to the device or require the batteries to be removed from the device and charged in the charging station.
E-Liquids / E-Juices Available In Canada
In addition to the device and battery, you will likely want to purchase e-Juice or e-Liquid to accompany your smoking device. These liquids pair with vaporisers to offer customisable smoking experiences. Vapers can choose the type of flavours that they wish to use. Flavours are available in traditional flavours, such as tobacco, Menthol, or Mint, as well as available in Sweeter and Fruitier flavours such as Cotton-Candy or Mango. Flavours also are available in single flavours or blends of multiple flavours. They are often available for purchase at the same locations that vapes and other smoke devices are sold.
For the vast majority of serious vapers, the fuel for their vaporisers is the main area of consideration. With many Canadians switching from traditional smoking to e-cigs, a common early complaint is in the taste difference that they immediately find between the two different products. Whilst it’s true that many of the cheaper, budget e-liquid options available across Canada don’t have a good depth of taste or a hard throat hit, there is much more variety on the market than many people first realise.
With a new device, you may want to accessories either for fashion reasons or functional reasons. In either case, vape accessories include cleaners, carrying cases, filter screens, containers, sleeves, extra parts and more. These accessories can be part of your style and/or simply a functional way to keep your device well-maintained. Store extra batteries, and e-Juice or e-Liquid in water-tight containers to avoid leaking. Keep the device in its own carrying case to protect it when not in use. Sizes, styles, and prices vary for accessories depending on the vendor and quality.
As the relatively new industry of vaping begins to settle into the public domain, sub-cultures are already beginning to emerge amongst the many Canadians who have taken up vaping. Creating your own personalised “mods” is one such area that allows people to express themselves and their own styles. As such, the number of accessories and options already available on the Canadian market is huge.
These accessories are often available at the same locations where vaporisers are sold and also include online retailers and speciality vape shops. It is important to choose the accessories that are right for you and this is best achieved by researching what is available on the market and comparing reviews and opinions before making a decision. The best way to do this is at a local vape store which often allows you to try equipment and new flavoured e-liquids in their self-styled “vape bars”. But as this isn’t available in every vape specialist across Canada, you can at least be assured that the store will feature an assistant who is experienced in vaping and can offer well-informed opinions that will help you find a suitable product.
Easy Guide to choosing the best Vaporiser for you in 2021:
- Start by selecting the type of device that you would like: disposable or rechargeable.
- Next, choose your flavour(s): traditional, sweet, and fruity.
- Choose accessories and chargers as desired.
- Head over to your choice vendor, and make your purchase.
- Once you have your device, be sure to maintain it properly in order to ensure the longest battery life.